Friday, October 7, 2011

Why?

In May, 2010 I found myself overweight, unemployed, a reluctant stay at home mom to my 2 girls and generally unhappy. I decided to take some action and looked into triathlon training plans.

Why a triathlon?
Simple. One word: swimming. I love swimming, always have. However, I wasn't a strong swimmer. I couldn't even do the freestyle stroke. However, I knew I would stay with a workout plan if it had something I liked. I found a couch to sprint plan and followed it to the letter. The rest, as they say, is history.

Since then, I have done (4) 5k's, a 6.66 miler, a 4 miler, a 5 miler, a Warrior Dash, a relay as the cyclist, 3 sprint distance triathlons, and a half marathon.

Training is not easy for me. Every bone in my body on some days begs me to quit. To give up and forget about this whole 'staying fit' business. That I wasn't really that unhappy with my body, myself, back then. Which, honestly, is a lie. I like my body now. I like seeing the definition of my muscles. I like not getting out of breath as I play with my children. I like that I no longer feel self concious about myself in clothing or even a bathing suit.

With winter coming up the need to stay focused and keep it all going is going to be hard. As the days get shorter, the mornings get darker... my mind starts to try and tell me to stay inside. I need to get a plan together of goals for next race season. I need to stay motivated to get up at 4:40 in the AM to start running/biking/swimming.

I'm hoping this blog will help. That I can reach out to other people who are doing the same thing and need the same help. Eventually I plan on getting other regular authors for this blog so that readers can see different perspectives. People in various phases of fitness doing various things. The look of this blog will change as I get more involved.

So, hello! I'm Heather and I'm a fitness nut.

No comments:

Post a Comment